MEMBER LOGIN

DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

Register & Login HERE

Here at AUTHORSdB we've formed the only database of authors, including social media, book listings and much more, for today's mine-field of thousands of aspiring and established writers.

We are a dedicated website that helps authors for free.

Review Detail

Asper - Ebook.jpg
Young Adult March 07, 2018
"wholeheartedly recommending"
Overall rating 

Is the book engaging / enticing? 

Can you relate to the characters and/or subject matter? 

Can you easily follow the scenes/chapters? Are they descriptive enough? 

Would you recommend this book? 

I haven’t been this enamored of a YA fantasy for a good while. Asper is beautifully written. Although it’s Rhonda Smiley’s debut novel, she’s done plenty of screenwriting in the past, and it shows. The book is positively cinematic, richly described, and just about impossible to put down. The author really knows how to crank up the suspense, and there were more than a few moments that left me with my heart pounding and my fingers desperately flipping the page. (Or something like that. Swiping. eReaders, you know.) The sheer depth of this novel is what launched it to the top ranks of my list of favorites. The characters are rich with conflict and indecision, but my true favorite was the villian – or, better yet, the fact that it’s really hard to tell who the villain is. The main conflict of Asper (no spoilers, no spoilers) is so layered and well-crafted that it really did leave me pondering. Who’s in the right? What even is ‘right’? It’s fun not knowing if the hero will succeed, but not knowing if they’re even fighting the right battle? It was captivating, refreshing, and not something I find often in the YA shelves. There is a slight snag, though it didn’t come until the very last page. The ending. The book doesn’t feel unfinished, but it does feel like there’s a chapter missing – the denouement is just a little too abrupt, a little too open for that sequel which may or may not follow. All I’m asking for is an epilogue. ;) That quibble is nowhere near enough to dissuade me from wholeheartedly recommending Asper to any and all lovers of fantasy looking for something a bit different.

By Ashley, Bookish Creature
http://bookishcreature.com/asper-rhonda-smiley/ 

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or