MEMBER LOGIN

DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

Register & Login HERE

Here at AUTHORSdB we've formed the only database of authors, including social media, book listings and much more, for today's mine-field of thousands of aspiring and established writers.

We are a dedicated website that helps authors for free.

Review Detail

Vortexes Front 300 x 450.jpeg
Fantasy July 18, 2018
Hard to put down...
Overall rating 

Is the book engaging / enticing? 

Can you relate to the characters and/or subject matter? 

Can you easily follow the scenes/chapters? Are they descriptive enough? 

Would you recommend this book? 

Reading Vortexes was like experiencing a well-crafted action-adventure-suspense-thriller movie. Set in a dystopian environment, the story tracks the movements of a small group of principled citizens doing their best to resist a totalitarian government that threatens their existence and the existence of anyone who even speaks up against it. The story includes just enough of a science fiction twist to add an extra creative dimension.

Here are some of the reasons I enjoyed it:

(1) Balance. The author strikes the perfect balance for me between setting/context descriptions and dialog/action. She sets a clear scene and keeps the story moving without falling into the literary trap of long descriptive narratives that tempt me to skip ahead. In this story, I found critical dialog and action happening virtually all of the time, and I didn’t want to miss any of it.

(2) Real characters. Well-developed characters make a book come alive for me, and by the time I was part-way into the book, I was emotionally connected with the characters – both those I came to like and those I came to detest.

(3) A clever, engaging story. The author spins a tale that pulled me in right from the start. I never guessed where it was going next, and I found myself surprised clear through to the end.

(4) More than just another novel. While this book can be read and enjoyed solely as an action, adventure, suspense, thriller, or even sci-fi novel, there is important further depth to this author’s creation. The story takes place in what appears to be a future dystopian society, yet the similarities between the story’s backdrop and today’s political events are disturbingly close. While it’s easy to think that totalitarian societies are a thing of the past or “will never happen here,” the author skillfully shows us how close we may be to the kind of society that most of us probably thought could never be. Read from that angle, Vortexes is an important warning about the dangers our society and our world currently face.

Highly recommended.

I was given an advance review copy of this book in an exchange for an honest review.

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

To write a comment please register or