MEMBER LOGIN

DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT?

Register & Login HERE

Here at AUTHORSdB we've formed the only database of authors, including social media, book listings and much more, for today's mine-field of thousands of aspiring and established writers.

We are a dedicated website that helps authors for free.

Review Detail

The Luck of the Weissensteiners
Historical
August 21, 2014    
Overall rating 

Is the book engaging / enticing? 

Can you relate to the characters and/or subject matter? 

Can you easily follow the scenes/chapters? Are they descriptive enough? 

Would you recommend this book? 

LITERARY FICTION AT ITS BEST

We've all studied World War II in history classes and some of us are old enough to have had relatives who fought in the war. For me, it was always somewhat abstract. The brilliant author, Christoph Fischer, bring the war alive through characters who live every horrible minute of it. The struggles of the family and extended family are unbelievable. And we think we're struggling when the cable doesn't work or our cell phones aren't charged! In movies about World War II, it seems that action becomes far more important than relationships. But in this excellent book, relationships trump action. The book beautifully explores the struggles of a family and how each of them is affected by the war. This is an up close look at the hardships and tragedies this family endured. The characters are wonderfully drawn: Wilma, Johanna, Greta, Wilhelm, and all the rest. The author juxtaposes the horrors of war with individuals' acts of kindness. A juxtaposition that might not work in less capable hands. I learned more about that area of the world in that time frame than I ever did in any classroom situation. Should be mandatory reading in every history class. A tour de force and I can't recommend it highly enough! Bravo, Mr. Fischer!

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

To write a comment please register or